Sheila currently provides interim leadership across the nation providing stability during times of leadership gaps affording the organization time to make the best long-term hiring decision.
In her previous role as Nurse Manager (Perioperative Director equivalent) for the Department of Veterans Affairs, she was hired to lead and oversee the enterprise for the start up joint initiative program between the Air Force and Veterans Administration to provide Ambulatory Surgery to Veterans. She was hired because of expertise and knowledge of health administration and managed health care programs and practices as well as general clinical principles and practices as they relate to a military medical environment. Sheila assured the program integrated nursing staff and surgical resources to provide access for approximately 117,000 southern Colorado Veterans. Scope of services included orthopedics, general surgery, urology, ophthalmology, and endoscopy. She managed technology and equipment to reduce errors, gain efficiencies, and comply with budget targets. Sought out as a subject matter expert for informatics and other technical trouble shooting in the operating room. Researched and submitted six equipment package requests to support the expansion of operations.
As a Perioperative Nursing Specialist at the Association of periOperative Registered Nurses, she
- Provided consultative services to members/non-members via phone, fax, e-mail, and mail.
- Represented AORN and work closely with a number of other regulatory and professional organizations, such as the Joint Commission, CDC, AAMI, OSHA, and NIOSH.
- Developed the Perioperative Standards and Recommended Practices book.
- Contributed to monthly “Clinical Issues” column in the AORN Journal.
- Liaison to AORN committees, specialty assemblies, and task forces.
- Co-developer of the Correct Site Surgery Tool Kit : Association of periOperative Registered Nurses
- Developed of the Human Factors Tool Kit: Association of periOperative Registered Nurses
Co-developer of the AORN “Chart my career path”
Sheila was a career Army Nurse since graduation from the University of Illinois College of Nursing to staff nurse as a new lieutenant, to head nurse, and educator. Later she would have her Masters in Nursing Administration conferred by the University of Illinois College of Nursing and inducted in to Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing. During this military career path, she deployed on two humanitarian missions to Pamerola Air Base in Honduras Central America, first as Head Nurse of Sterile Processing then later in her career as the Deputy Commander of the Medical Element. After two deployments to the Gulf in two separate Combat Campaigns and from the east to Midwest United States and Germany, Sheila settled in Colorado Springs, deciding to retire as Chief Nursing Officer.
Throughout her life, she has been an published, speaker, active volunteer in the community and in nursing.
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY AFFILIATIONS:
- American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE), member
- American Nurses Association, member
- Colorado Nurses Association, member
- Illinois Nurses Association, member
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, member since 1994
- Certified Nurse, Operating Room (CNOR) since 1991
- Association of Perioperative Nurses (AORN) since 1986
- American Nurses Association Standards of Practice Revision Work Group 2014-2015
- AORN Colorado State Legislative Coordinator- the liaison between AORN’s public policy interests and efforts in Colorado and the National Legislative Committee and AORN Government Affairs staff 2008-present.
- Chi Eta Phi Nursing Sorority, Inc. (non-profit)- Southwest Regional Director 2018- present, Assistant Regional Director 03/2015- 03/2018, Chapter President 2009-2015, secretary 2015-present. National Board Nominating Committee 07/2017-present.
- Colorado Nurses Association Legislative Advisory Work Group 2017
- Ella Mae Branson Sickle Cell Association (non-profit), secretary and communications director. 2006- present.
- Appointed by Colorado Governor to the Governor’s Sickle Cell Advisory Board, 2013-present
- Director of Operations, secretary, musician and musician liaison for the Colorado Springs Chapter of the Gospel Music Workshop of America (non-profit). This organization focuses on developing music appreciation throughout the state and Nationally.
- Chi Eta Phi- Conducted a three month Fitness Program at Apple Senior Assisted Living.
- African American Youth Leadership Conference presenter 2004-2006: providing education, information and mentoring to local youth.
- Workplace violence and bullying, 10/12
- Panelist on the “The Health Equity: Truth and Consequences Forum,” Colorado Springs,
- Recommended Practices for Prevention of Deep Vein Thrombosis
- Fire Prevention in the OR: What Is New?
- Chasing Zero: Perioperative Skin Antisepsis
- De-Stress and Refresh
- Humor for Mental Health
- Deployment Readiness
- Mentoring future leaders
- Giving Quality Presentations
- Army Nursing as a Career
- Army Nursing, Desert Storm
Coauthor, ANA Nurse Scope of Practice and Standards, 2015
Coauthor, Issues Up Close: Announcing The American Nurses Association (ANA) Nursing Scope and Standards of Practice 3rd Edition. American Nurse Today.
Lead Clinical Author for Prevention of Retained Surgical Items in AORN Perioperative Standards and Recommended Practices (2010).
AORN J May 2010 Clinical Issues:
Lead Clinical Editor for Recommended Practices for High-Level Disinfection in AORN Perioperative Standards and Recommended Practices (2009).
AORN J August 2009 Clinical Issues: Class 6 emulating chemical indicators; placing count sheets in instrument trays; using a permanent marker to label items on the sterile field.
Coauthor: Steam Sterilization: potential for cytotoxicity from internal count sheets. (FDA research collaboration). AORN J, March 2009.
AORN J January 2009 Clinical Issues: Recommended practices for non-hospital surgery sites; Quality measures for ambulatory surgery centers; When to perform the surgical time out.
AORN J May 2008 Clinical Issues: FDA Alert on Unretrieved device fragments; sterile storage.
AORN J October 2007 Clinical Issues: Flash Sterilization, Prevention of unplanned perioperative hypothermia and Saline irrigation in warmers.
Lead Clinical Editor for Recommended Practices for Sterilization in in AORN Perioperative Standards and Recommended Practices (2008).
Flash Much? Outpatient Surgery, March 2008.
Coauthored: Future of Surgery, AORN Influence in Future Healthcare Journal, Aug 2007.